- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 large honeydew, cut into cubes or balls
- 1 large cantaloupe, cut into cubes or balls
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 pound green grapes
- Combine lemon juice, sugar and flour in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir 1/4 cup into eggs; return all to pan. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until mixture coasts a spoon (do not boil). Cool. Fold in whipped cream; cover and chill until serving.
- For watermelon boat, cut a thin slice from bottom of melon with a sharp knife to allow it to sit flat (see diagram at right). Mark a horizontal cutting line 2 in. above center of melon. With a long sharp knife, cut into melon along cutting line, making sure to cut all the way through. Gently pull off top section of rind.
- Remove fruit from both sections and cut into cubes or balls; set aside. To cut decorative edge, place melon on its side. Position a 2-1/2-in. star cookie cutter against inside edge of melon, allowing only half of star to cut through rind (see diagram below). Use a mallet if necessary to help push cookie cutter through melon.
- Insert a toothpick into flat edge of removed piece. Attach piece onto melon edge where last cut ends. Repeat cutting and attaching pieces until entire melon edge is completed.
- In a large bowl, combine honeydew, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes and watermelon; spoon into boat. Serve with dressing. Yield: 32-36 servings (about 2 cups dressing).